so I guess this is proof of man-made global warming then?
Well, no actually. And I shall now explain why:
- This is happening at the end of summer. The ice has been weakened by the normal, every year event called summertime.
- The scientists failed to mention the large earthquake that happened in the pacific-Antarctic Ridge. This is what may have provided the energy required to break the ice in such a straight uniform crack. A crack that is NOT typical of ice-sheet cracks observed in the past.
- There is evidence that there has been significant volcanic activity in the region: http://www.cosmosmagazine.com/node/1810
- This ice-shelf may have been stable for a hundred years, but that is nothing in geological terms, The South Pole had no ice whatsoever only 14000 years ago. These ice shelves have melted many times in the past.
- even IF this was helped by global warming, there is still NO scientific consensus that the warming of the 20th century was caused by man's CO2 emissions. The 400 scientists who had the time, capability and courage to attend the 2008 climate change conference in New York proved that.
There has actually been NO warming for a decade. I am still waiting for the BBC or any other mainstream media outlet to admit this inconvenient truth.
The single most pointless phrase in use today has to be, "Tackling Climate Change"!
The climate has ALWAYS changed. Often at rates and amounts far far greater than it is currently. This tackling climate change phrase makes as much sense as saying we must tackle the earth orbiting the sun!