- They went with songs to the battle, they were young.
- Straight of limb, true of eyes, steady and aglow.
- They were staunch to the end against odds uncounted,
- They fell with their faces to the foe.
- They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old:
- Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
- At the going down of the sun and in the morning,
- We will remember them.
- Lest we forget.
I sit here today in abject horror at what is unfolding. This is a slow and deliberate misrepresentation of what Remembrance Sunday is all about.
As I recall from the past, remembrance was all about remembering the sacrifice of our troops to defend our sovereignty and all that our sovereignty protects. That is fundementally important.
Now rememberence is having the sovereignty erased. It is changing into a propaganda agent of current mis-directed, and piss-poorly directed wars.
We are seeing the message change from remember what they fought for, OUR sovereignty and independence from foreign oppression into support of our current misadventures and invasions and occupations of foreign lands.
Watching the Remembrance Sunday Parades, I never heard the word Sovereignty mentioned once, but there was lots of references to supporting our current missions.
It was sickening to watch our Prime Minister and leader of the opposition lay wreaths to the fallen, whilst they simultaneously gave away the same sovereignty that the troops had died to defend.